Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Forgot

This has been a tough two weeks. Emotionally, physically, and mentally taxing to the limit. It's crisis time again at work and in these respects I did not handle it well at all. God just went completely out of the picture. Well, almost. His Holy Spirit never leaves or forsakes. He just keeps gently prodding. Even when He is grieved.

Has this ever happened to you? What do you do? How well do you handle crisis? What do you do when you willfully get back into sinful acts to try to deal with crisis?

I finally had enough. I went to my favorite hot spring (Io Jima, Nagasaki, Japan) to relax. Once completely drained, I could take the time desperately needed to pray. And God broke through and spoke through and gave me the gift of repentance. It was more painful than the crisis but in a good way that only God can work.

Here's a few verses that He put in my mind today. Perhaps they will help you and me next time.

But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: (II Peter 1:9-10)

In such a state of guilt, I certainly forgot I was purged. Once restored, God gifted me again by reminding me that not only was I forgiven, but I was also not forsaken. He reminded me of my calling (to write) and election (I am!) so that I could relay this good news to others.

It's also a warning too my friends. Judgment is coming. Jesus is coming back soon as both Judge and Bridegroom. Deal with your sin now and be found faithful when He returns.

I was reminded to pray for my friends too. Like Job, God often restores me when I pray for my friends. For you, He wants you to know with certainty these words of truth: What are your spiritual gifts? Are you using them daily for God's glory? They are part of your calling. Do you know your calling? Have you forgotten?

No comments: