Sunday, April 20, 2008

Whom Do You Fear?

Growing up in the sixties, I remember vividly a commercial by the Ad Council. Of the many recorded quotes, FDR's 1933 first Inaugural Address"...the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" always stuck in my mind over the years. I suppose that during the Depression there was plenty to fear. Many of those same fears abound in today's recession.

Take a moment to read his address and notice the prolific use of Biblical overtones. What is blatantly missing? What is missing today? What is the Christian Church missing?

The fear of the LORD

So far in my studies I find three key reasons why this is so. Each one has a unique resonance.

  1. The fear of the LORD is not taught. Psalm 34:11
  2. God's commandments are not obeyed. Ecclesiastes 12:13
  3. Everything seems perfectly normal. Psalm 55:19

Take a moment to ponder that last one. I can write no more on this because I am soaking on that last point myself before the throne for many days now. I am desperately trying to learn to to battle this and teach others how to break into what I'll call an abnormal Christian life. But it is the life, the only life, that Jesus talks about when He declares, "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life." And we as Christians are for the most part missing it entirely because we choose to live the normal life of this world. Proverbs 1:29

Whom do you fear?

No comments: