Saturday, December 20, 2008

Let it go! Let it go! Let it go!

Perhaps the title is a little wintry corny but it speaks well of a necessary act of our Christian lives. Following last week's Confession post, God continually reminded me of the reality of Jesus' words, "...you shall be free indeed." (John 8:36)There are no words to explain this state, nor do I wish to try to pen them, for they would quickly become an emotional idol to me and perhaps others. When God sets you free, you are free to worship, free to be One with Him, free from sin, free to love Him and seek Him with your whole heart.

Just after this wonderful moment, God brought three people out of my past back into my life. Three people who hurt me. Three who I was very angry and bitter with. I knew I was free from those things. But Jesus said, "you shall be free indeed." And so those very specific and painful people had to be finally reckoned with. I had to let it go. I let go of the anger, bitterness, and circumstances. I had to let go of the feelings that arose just at the mere mention of their names, the sight of their face, the association of their deed with someone else. One of these had been festering for nearly thirty years!

Christian, let it go. (Hebrews 12:1) Be free indeed. That is the depth of confession, forsaking, and repentance. That is the breadth of God's love to cover it. That is the power of Jesus' atonement to settle it forever and never bring it up again.

No comments: