Sunday, September 27, 2009

Falkenstein

Today I wrote about 5000 words, restarting my historical fiction novel "Falkenstein" once again. All told, I have written over 50,000 words on this thing over the years. I don't like any of it. I'm a little happier about today's work only because I attended a seminar and read a book that have helped me a great deal.

Writing fiction is nothing like the non-fiction works that I usually produce. This is not a Christian book. I keep wondering about its inspiration. When writing my trilogy, "Christian Mythology", "The Remnant", and "My Little Children", each was preceded with a lot of prayer and Bible study. Is any of that necessary for an historical fiction novel about a castle, the art of falconry, an emperor whose works on falconry were centuries ahead of his time, and a Bavarian king many called "Mad" King Ludwig?

Certainly a lot of research was required. Is that analogous to Bible study? In a way. But it does not yield spiritual inspiration. Is prayer required? I tend to think not. But as a Christian I realize without Jesus I can do nothing. But it all just feels weird. So I am learning and asking God these questions. I'm also not sure why He has me on this hiatus when the trilogy is desperately needed in the hands of a sleeping Church. This is a strange time.

Your prayers are coveted.

No comments: